Top 10 Places to Experience the Maldivian Nightlife in all its Glory
Maldives is not known for its active nightlife due to religious restrictions on alcohol consumption and general forms of public nuisance normally associated with pubs. With that being said, the generic laws do not apply to private islands. As a result, Maldives hosts some of the biggest beach parties in the world, as resorts leave no stones unturned in their quest for entertainment. Here is a list of the top 10 places to visit in Maldives after sundown.
- Subsix – The crown jewel of Niyama Private Island Resort, Subsix is the world’s first underwater nightclub. Located 500 meters off the coast of Niyama and 6 meters below the Indian Ocean, Subsix is popular for its wide assortment of fresh seafood and the amazing view of the marine ecosystem through its large glass windows. The ocean-theme décor along with blue mood lighting helps alleviate people’s senses, keeping them mesmerized.
- Kurumba – A 5-star resort located on Vihamanaafushi island Kurumba offers a host of activities for revelers. From swaying to the beats churned out by live DJs to sipping on tropical cocktails at the open bar, Kurumba offers the best of the Maldivian nightlife.
- Babuna Bar – White Night parties at Babuna Bar in the Kuredo Island Resort is widely popular with revelers looking to dance the night away. Known for hosting UV light parties, the back-to-back live band performances and evening animation is sure to blow your mind. Do not forget to turn up in white, as the dress code is strictly enforced.
- 15 Below – One of the best underground party hubs in Maldives, 15 Below is located 15 feet under the beach, as the name suggests. Pick your poison from the huge assortment of liquor and alcoholic beverages on offer including glow-in-the-dark cocktails. Enjoy a tasty snack at the sushi bar while you dance to the latest tunes being played by the DJ.
- Club Med Kani – If you have had enough of one choice per island and enjoy pub hopping, Club Med Kani has 3 bars within its boundaries. The Sunset, Manta, and Iru offer intrinsic views of the landscape while offering a radical combination of appetizing cuisine and soothing cocktails.
- Moodhu Bar and Restaurant – For those looking to spend a quiet and relaxing evening by the beach while sipping on a cold beverage, Moodhu Bar and Restaurant offers the perfect getaway. The thatched-roof bar radiates the ideal beach vibe, as you watch the sun set over the horizon.
- Paradise Island Resort – If you enjoy a hearty meal and do not mind experimenting with global cuisine, Paradise Island Resort is where you should be after sunset. Be it Italian or Japanese seafood delicacies, buffer or a la carte, the food here is simply amazing.
- Night Fishing – Not your typical definition of nightlife, most resorts organize night fishing for guests twice a week on special request. The fish you catch will be cooked and served as per your choice. This is ideal for honeymooners or couples who wish to spend some quality time together. You could also ask your travel planner to include night fishing in your preferred Maldives travel package.
- Karaoke Room – A key attraction of Aaaveee Nature’s Paradise Resort, put your singing skills to the test and compete with a bunch of enthusiastic strangers under a thatched roof hut. Like every conventional night excursion on the island, expect to find some very palatable cuisine and cocktails on the menu.
- Open-Air Cinema – Not your typical movie experience, Soneva Fushi and Gili Lankanfushi are the only resorts currently offering the service. Set in a quiet and private beachside venue, guests can choose to watch their all-time favorite Hollywood movie on a large portable screen.